Quilts for wounded warriors are shipped directly to combat hospitals in Afghanistan for critically wounded warriors. The wounded are transported from combat areas on converted cargo planes with minimal heat. The handmade quilts provide warmth and comfort to show them we care, and are also used as part of patient care in Intensive Care Units. The colorful, soft quilts are a stark contrast to their surroundings and show our gratitude for the warrior’s sacrifices.
Following are the requirements for the quilts, as suggested by the military medical community:
- Size: 48″ x 78″ (stretcher/gurney size)
- Fabric and Batting: 100% cotton preferred; 80/20 is acceptable
- Theme: Patriotic
- Quilting: machine or hand quilted, or tied
- Pillowcase (optional): 20″ x 30″, coordinating with the quilt
Please help give a special gift to our injured troops when they need it most. If you’re not a quilter, donations are accepted and are needed for shipping.
Need help getting started? Here are some ideas:
- View instructions for making a Bricks and Stepping Stones quilt.
- This simple quilt made from 2.5″ strips, from American Patchwork and Quilting’s website, would make a good scrappy Wounded Warrior quilt.
- The Fons and Porter website has a free pattern for a starry quilt they call American Independence. Seven Square in a Square and eight Puss in the Corner blocks are alternated. Half-blocks are then added around the outer edges, to complete the stars. If the 3-strip outer borders are omitted, and a simple 3″ border is added at each end, you’ll get our 48″ x 78″ size. The download link is not obvious; it’s the last link under the “From our Quilt Shop” heading.